Holidays are a time of fun, celebration and making memories. But in the midst of the excitement, considering the environment often slips through the cracks.
Halloween is a great opportunity to reuse, re-invent, and recycle things around the house as your create that perfect costume and decorations.
To get you started, here are a few simple tips to help you celebrate a greener Halloween this year:
1) Reuse Old Costumes – This is a no-brainer. Consider recycling or reusing costumes from previous years to make new costumes for this year. You can trade costumes from years past with friends and family or tap into the treasures hidden in your closet or attic. Use your imagination to pull together a fun, no-cost costume!
2) Decorate with Nature – A trip through your yard or the local Farmers Market will provide everything you need to dress up your home for Halloween. Leaves and branches, hay bales, gourds, pumpkins, mums and dried flowersare just a few options. Trust your seasonal instincts and be original!
3) Light up the Night – If you string lights (especially to keep walkways safe for kids), use strands of LED lights. They use much less energy than conventional holiday twinklers. If your kids need flashlights to get around in the dark, try the BOGO light, it recharges with solar energy.
4) Have a Party – If you plan to celebrate at home in lieu of trick-or-treating, send electronic invitations to avoid wasting paper and postage. There are many websites that allow you to select and customize cool designs and holiday-themed e-vites. Put out bowls of snacks rather than serving up individual throwaway treat bags. And, when considering tableware and decor, avoid anything disposable.
5) Save for Next Year – When Halloween is over, pack up your costumes, treat bags, lights, and decorations in one big box or bag. Store everything in an easy-to-find place so next year, so you’ll have a great place to start!
From all of us here at Marc Allen Orthodontics, we hope you have a fun, safe and GREEN Halloween!